Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Jodie and the Spy Talk

Dynamics are important in music class.

So I have a big poster showing a voice levels chart, (for my visual learners). The chart has been there since the beginning of the year for classroom management purposes. In a burst of cleverness, I cover the level numbers with dynamic markings. I had to make a few other changes. Like covering up the words, "whisper" because that's bad for your vocal chords, and "out of control"... for obvious reasons. 


Isn't is cute?!

A few weeks later, we take a quiz on music dynamics. There's a chart that they fill in. 
"Symbol" on the left, "Music Term" in the middle, and "Meaning" on the right. ie:

f                               forte                               loud

and they fill in the spots that are blank. 

One student, we'll call her Jodie, writes under the meaning of pp (pianissimo, or really quiet) --"Sex talk."

I chuckle. Then I pause (you're not supposed to chuckle when 6th graders make sex jokes); unsure of how to grade it. Do I give her full credit for understanding the definition and applying it in a separate, but arguably accurate context? Or do I knock off points for being inappropriate in a school?  Does she even really know what she wrote? Kids these days are exposed to a lot more than I was at that age...She doesn't seem like the type of kid to press boundaries like this...

Later, I looked at the writing again and realized she wrote, "Spy talk." As in the example from my chart! (Handwriting is not this generation's strength.)

I double over laughing when I realized my mistake.

Jodie, "You wanted to talk to me, Mrs. Corkin?"
Me: "No. Yes. Just wanted to say you're doing great. Have a great day, kiddo."


Sex talk. Most of the time is pianissimo. Depends on what you're into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment